Founded in 1823 and re-built in 1865 the Grist Mill was acquired by G.T. Wilburn in 1924. Take a 200-year walk back in time to the early 1800’s as you stroll around the historic water-powered mill at Fall River. Above the great waterfalls, you can hear the faint voices of the mule drivers and creaking wagon wheels early in the morning as they arrive with their heavy loads of wheat and corn and line up for what will be a long day at the mill. But these early pioneers are happy to be here, to meet their neighbors, trade stories, get up-to-date on local happenings and shop for necessities at the general store as they await the grinding of what will be their survival food for the coming winter.
Timeline / Brief history of the G.T. Wilburn & Son Mill and Store
1823– Andrew Jackson and John Quincy Adams were running for President and construction began on the Grist Mill at Fall River. The exact date of completion is unknown on the original Mill.
John A. Hagan was the first recorded deed owner. It was a water driven mill.
1862 – The Union Army burned the Mill to the ground as they swept through the South on a “scorched earth” policy. The Hagan Family, fortunately, was spared.
1865 – Summer, the Civil War was over, and John Hagan began rebuilding the Mill on the same spot as the burned mill.
1870 – Ownership passed from John Hagan to the Scott family.
1885 – Ownership purchased by the White family (first members of today's owners), and they built a dam and installed a water driven turbine that powered the machinery for grinding fine flour that is still in the Mill today.
1909 – Mr. White employed G. T. Wilburn (his wife Tenny’s nephew) to manage the Mill and the Mill’s General Store.
1924 – G. T. Wilburn and his wife Florence purchased the Mill, General Store, Homeplace, barn and small rental house (all covering 15 acres) and he renamed the Mill and General Store as G. T. Wilburn and Son Mill and General Store.
1932 – First Wilburn family member to be born at the Wilburn Homeplace. C. W. Buz Wilburn, son of Clyde and Bessie and grandson of G. T. and Florence Wilburn.
1950 – The G. T. Wilburn and Son mill ceased grinding flour but continued grinding corn for cornmeal and feed for livestock.
1956 – The G. T. Wilburn and Son mill closed its’ operations entirely, and G. T. continued to operate the G.T. Wilburn and Son General Store.
1974 – G.T. passed away, and his oldest son Loyd took over the operation of the General Store.
1983 – Florence Wilburn passed away.
2000 - Loyd closed the G.T Wilburn & Son General Store.
2001 – Present: The G.T. Wilburn & Son Mill, Store, Homeplace, Rental House and 70 acres of property
(The Fall River Properties) has been preserved but has remained inactive. Currently listed For Sale.